Tuesday, February 24, 2015

In Perfect Harmony

 
 What better scene to rest the soul
than boy and dog on grassy knoll
looking out across the vale,
with smiling face and wagging tail?
I lived my childhood Summers thus
with this fast friend I well could trust,
walking through the meadow green
beside a rambling brook of dreams.
And when we tired, we would rest
beneath a tree with redbird's nest
until we felt an urge to rove
and ramble through a singing grove.
No happier times have come my way
than those of bygone Summer days
that always ended far too soon,
there simply, purely was not room
to do the many things we planned,
but, then, tomorrow was at hand
when on our way we'd go again.
The years have come, the years have passed,
and often has my mind been cast
unto those precious days of yore
when my dog waited at the door.
O make me, God, a child again.
When mortal day has reached its end,
may my prayer to Thee ascend
to meet with Thine divine consent
...and Eternity with my friend, be spent.
 
~ Don Beckman

No comments:

Post a Comment