Thursday, April 23, 2015

Snow Picnic

 
I planned a picnic in the snow,
Invited feathered friends I know.
I scattered crumbs and seeds toe at,
With suet for a special treat;
 
Then took my place at window seat,
Each honored guest to quietly greet.
Slate-colored juncos came to call
And brown-hued chipping sparrows small.
 
The cardinals perched on ice-white spread
In splendid coats of crimson red.
I watched the purple finches dine
In royal bibs, raspberry  wine.
 
Towhee, nuthatch and chickadee
Had gracious manners once could see.
When kingly blue jay lit to taste,
The other birds made room in haste.
 
My friends chirped thanks for crisp birdfeed,
Nutritious food that filled each need.
I listened joyfully and thought
Of Winter wonder God's birds brought.
 
~ Louise Pugh Corder
 

No comments:

Post a Comment