Sunday, December 21, 2014

A Season of Change


 With awe I stand and welcome
November's mystic skies;
and its multi-textured canvas
that is crowded with surprise.
The harvest has been gathered,
fresh cider, too, is pressed,
silence reigns across the vales
and fields have earned their rest.
How classic are the orchards,
with their branch without its leaf;
and vines of twisted starkness,
of their burdens now relieves.

The pines, I know, are anxious;
their droll bleakness tells me so,
impatient for warm blankets
pieced with fleecy flakes of snow.
While the hills appear despairing,
now unshrouded of their grass;
and yet with hopeful voice proclaim,
"We know this, too, shall pass."
For now the winter's frosty wings
are swiftly flying near
and with the coming season
flows new music to my ear.
So to each season's symphony
I bid farewell and yearn
to greet each new performance
in its fanciful return.

~ Don Beckman


No comments:

Post a Comment