Wednesday, November 12, 2014

I Can't Go Home Again


 I really can't go home again.
It was so long ago
When I was young and happy there
So free from care, you know.

I surely had no worries then -
Just lived from day to day
And if I had some cause to cry
That swiftly went away.

The old homestead is stooped with age,
The building's in decay
As though it were a hundred years
Since I had gone away.

I passed by there not long ago
And paused awhile to see
The aged house where I was born
And it looked back at me.

Its window-eyes are dimmed with age,
The roof is sagging and
The old house cannot long survive
Without a helping hand.

The garden where Mom's roses grew
Cannot be found today;
The creek's flat stones that formed our walk
Have long been hauled away.

The wooden fence and posts are gone
As are the hedge and flowers
Which Mother loved and for their care
She toiled so many hours.

The old pond is no longer there
Where livestock used to drink,
Where bullfrogs croaked and turtles swam
And where I went to think.

I really can't go home again
But thoughts of yesteryear
Are vivid in my heart today -
Those mem'ries I hold dear!

~ Luther Elvis Albright


No comments:

Post a Comment