Friday, July 8, 2016

Blue Boy


I had  a sled that grandpa made;
It meant the world to me.
With wooden bed and runners,
A beauty for all to see.

I pulled it to the op of a hill
When the snow was soft and new
'Twas the envy of all my friends,
With its bold new coat of blue.

How many hours of winter
Did I spend upon that sled,
Bundled warm in my snowsuit
With a scarf upon my head!
When I see the sleds of my children,
Streamlined, with metal bright,
I dream again of "Blue Boy"
And that snowy hill, with delight.

I know they'd call it old-fashioned,
But if I had it once more, here,
I'd race them down the hill again
And win, with a mighty cheer.

Many like the new ones,
With varnished wood and chrome,
But give me my old "Blue Boy"
And snow on the hill back home.

~ Shirley Sallay

No comments:

Post a Comment