Sunday, June 29, 2014

A Dog Lover's Prayer

 
My prayer book's unconventional,
An album scarred with age,
The dogs who shared their lives with mine
Stand out on every page.
 
The spaniels of my childhood days,
All floppy ears and fluff;
The dobermans who shared my bed,
Magnificent and tough.

 Though some folks picture Heaven's gates
Atop a golden stair,
The precious photos in my book
Inspire this humble prayer:

"Lord, lead me to a sun-washed field,
Then send them one by one;
Let yelps of joy lead wagging tails
As to my arms they run.
 
Sad eyes of pleading, paws that beg,
A symphony of barks,
Invite a romp in fragrant grass
To songs of meadowlarks.

 This Heaven that I pray for, Lord,
Where lilacs scent the air,
Is blessed with all the dogs I've loved
Who come to greet me there.

 ~ Toni Fulco 

2 comments:

  1. The most appropriate prayer for my loves that I've ever read.

    ReplyDelete