Monday, January 8, 2018

Oh! Susanna


I come from Alabama,
Wid my banjo on my knee,
I'm g'wan to Louisiana,
My true love for to see;
It rain'd all night the day I left,
The weather it was dry,
The sun so hot I froze to death,
Susanna, don't you cry.

CHORUS
Oh! Susanna, 
Don't you cry for me,
I've come from Alabama
Wid my banjo on my knee.

I jumped aboard de telegraph,
And trabbeled down de ribber,
De lectric fluid magnified,
And killed five hundred nigger.

De bullgine bust, de horse run off,
I really thought I'd die;
I shut my eyes to hold my breath,
Susanna, don't you cry.

I had a dream de udder night
When eb'ryting was still,
I thought I saw Susanna
A coming down de hill;
De buckwheat-cake was in her mouth,
De tear was in her eye;
Says I, I'm coming from de South,
Susanna, don't you cry.

I soon will be in New Orleans,
And den I'll look all round,
And when I find Susanna,
I'll fall upon the ground.
But if I do not find her,
Dis darkey'l surely die,
And when I'm dead and buried,
Susanna, don't you cry.

~ Stephen Foster

No comments:

Post a Comment