Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Dixie


[THE ORIGINAL VERSION]

I wish I was in land ob cotton,
Old times dar am not forgotten,
Look away! Look away! Look away! Dixie Land.
In Dixie Land whar' I was born in,
Early on one frosty mornin',
Look away! Look away! Look away! Dixie Land.

CHORUS:
Den I wish I was in Dixie, Hoo-ray! Hoo-ray!
In Dixie land, I'll take my stand to lib and die in Dixie;
Away, away, away down south in Dixie,
Away, away, away down south in Dixie.

Old Missus marry Will-de-weaber,
Willium was a gay deceaber; Look away! Look away! Look away! Dixie Land.
But when he put his arms around 'er
He smiled as fierce as a forty-pounder,
Look away! Look away! Look away! Dixie Land.

His face was sharp as a butcher's cleaber,
But dat did not seem to greab 'er;
Will run away, missus took a decline, O,
Her face was the color of bacon rhine, O.

While missus libbed, she libbed in clover,
When she died, she died all over; 
How could she act de foolish part,
 An' marry a man to break her heart?

Buckwheat cakes an' stony batter 
Makes you fat or a little fatter ; 
Here's a health to de next old missus,
An' all de galls dat want to kiss us.

Now if you want to drive way sorrow, 
Come and hear dis song tomorrow ; 
Den hoe it down an' scratch your grabble, 
To Dixie's land I'm bound to trabble.

~ Daniel Decatur Emmett

No comments:

Post a Comment