Saturday, December 12, 2015

Prayer


I do not undertake to say
That literal answers come from Heaven,
But I know this - that when I pray,
A comfort, a support is given
That helps me rise o'er earthly things
As larks soar up on airy wings.

I do not stop to reason out
The why and how. I do not care,
Since I know this, that when I doubt,
Life seems a blackness of despair,
The world a tomb; and when I trust,
Sweet blossoms spring up in the dust.

Prayer has a sweet refining grace,
It educates the soul and heart.
It lends a luster to the face,
And by its elevating art
It gives the mind an inner-sight
That brings it near the Infinite.

From our gross selves it helps us rise
To something which we yet may be.
And so I ask not to be wise,
If thus my faith is lost to me.
Faith that with angels' voice and touch,
Says "Pray, for prayer availeth much."

~ Ella Wheeler Wilcox

No comments:

Post a Comment