Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Adoration, Praise, and Thanksgiving

 
I thank thee, God, that I have lived
In this great world and known it's many joys;
The song of birds, the strong, sweet scent of hay
And the cooling breezes in the secret dusk,
The flaming sunsets at the close of day,
Hills, and lonely, heather-covered moors,
Music at night, and moonlight on the sea,
The heat of waves upon the rocky shore
And wild, white spray, flung high in ecstasy:
The faithful eyes of dogs, and treasured books,
The love of kin and fellowship of friends,
And all that makes life dear and beautiful.

I thank Thee, too, that there has come to me
A little heartache and the loneliness
That comes with parting, and the word, "Goodbye,"
Dawn breaking after dreary hours of pain,
When I discovered that night's gloom must yield
And morning light break through to me again.
Because of these and other blessing poured
Unasked upon my wondering head,
Because I know there is yet to come
An even richer and more glorious life,
And most of all, because Thine only Son
Once sacrificed life's loveliness for me ---
I thank Thee, God, that I have lived.

~ Elizabeth Craven

No comments:

Post a Comment