Monday, August 15, 2022

I Used To Think


“I used to think I knew everything. 
I was a "smart person" who "got things done," 
and because of that, the higher I climbed, 
the more I could look down and scoff 
at what seemed silly or simple, even religion. 
But I realized something as I drove home that night: 
that I am neither better nor smarter, only luckier. 
And I should be ashamed of thinking I knew everything 
because you can know the whole world and still feel lost in it. 
So many people are in pain-no matter 
how smart or accomplished-they cry, 
they yearn, they hurt. 
But instead of looking down on things, they look up, 
which is where I should have been looking, too. 
Because when the world quiets to the sound of your own breathing, 
we all want the same things: comfort, love, and a peaceful heart.”

~ Mitch Albom, Have a Little Faith: a True Story

No comments:

Post a Comment