Friday, February 10, 2017

Mother's Kitchen



I remember those times quite well,
Though it often seems like a dream,
Riding my tricycle in Mother's kitchen
While she daily cooked and cleaned.
She placed food in the wood-burning oven
To cook the proper length of time.
She'd then use her handmade straw broom
To sweep trash along a straight line.
I knew that, while peddling along,
I had better stay out of the way
And never let my red tricycle
Go in areas called "astray."
I traveled a certain path,
So very squeaky and wooden,
While smells of gingerbread danced,
As well as pineapple pudding,
Mother made many recipes in her kitchen,
Yet never wrote them down.
I think she also had one for smiling,
For I rarely saw her frown.
I want the same happiness in my home,
And I will certainly try to do my best.
With memories of Mother's kitchen to help me,
I know I will pass the test.

~ Jimmie Oliver Fleming

No comments:

Post a Comment