Friday, November 8, 2013

Thankfuness

 
My God, I thank Thee who hast made
        The earth so bright;
So full of splendour and of joy,
        Beauty and light;
So many glorious things are here,
        Noble and right!

I thank Thee, too, that Thou hast made
        Joy to abound;
So many gentle thoughts and deeds
        Circling us round,
That in the darkest spot of Earth
        Some love is found.

I thank Thee more that all our joy
        Is touched with pain;
That shadows fall on brightest hours;
        That thorns remain;
So that earth's bliss may be our guide,
        And not our chain.

I thank Thee, Lord, that Thou hast kept
        The best in store;
We have enough, yet not too much
        To long for more;
A yearning for a deeper peace,
        Not known before.

I thank Thee, Lord, that here our souls,
        Though amply blest,
Can never find, although they seek,
        A perfect rest, ---
Nor ever shall, until they lean
        On Jesus' breast!


~ Adelaide Anne Procter

No comments:

Post a Comment