Friday, November 24, 2017

The Scent of a Good Cigar


What is it comes through the deepening dusk, --
Something sweeter than jasmine scent
Sweeter than rose and biolet blent, 
More potent in power than orange or musk?
The scent of a good cigar.

I am all alone in my quiet room,
And the windows are open wide and free
To let in the south winds kiss for me
While I rock in the softly gathering gloom, 
And that subtle fragrance steals.

Just as a loving, tender hand
Will sometimes steal in yours, 
It softly comes through the open doors, 
And memory wakes at its command,--
The scent of a good cigar.

And what does it say? Ah! That's for me
And my heart alone to know;
But that heart thrills with a sudden glow, 
Tears fill my eyes till I cannot see,--
From the scent of that good cigar.

~ Kate A. Carrington

No comments:

Post a Comment